Saturday, September 4, 2010

Your leadership style and beliefs may be lame.

In high school, I was relieved to know that exlusive schools for girls are repreived from the most dreaded Citizens Army Training (CAT). Our exuberance, however, was thwarted by the startling news. Before the junior year ended, we were cautioned that CAT will be part of our senior year curriculum. The news was like a splash of cold water which froze everyone upon hearing.

I personally dreaded CAT as I have heard a lot of horrifying stories about it. I have heard that we will go through some inhumane initiations to test our physical, emotional and mental strengths. Tougher mental and physical tests, that will lurch your intestines, were even given to those who aspire to become officers. When I asked why, in my derision, I was told that we had to simulate the military training. I was indignant to know that the tests were so poorly designed and I felt sorry to those who aspired for the positions.

Growing up in place where bombings, killings and rebellions were rampant, armed men-in-uniform were conspicuous and one curious young mind can't help but wonder how strenuous and horrifying their trainings were. In my arbitrary interviews from friends, I learned about some random violent initiations that everyone had to endure to pass.

Why does this school, that grooms future leaders, condone such atrocious practice. It has been known that many lives-lives bearing brilliant minds and purest intentions at heart-had been wasted because of these merciless tests. Lives who might not be able to endure the physical strain but is shrewd enough to strategize and win battles.

Every Filipino know Apolinario Mabini, 'The Sublime Paralytic'. If you don't, then find at least some 8 year-old kids in your area, they are quite congnizant about this hero. Mabini was able to win several battles despite his physical constraint. His detractors were in awe of his strategies and even learned from him.

Nelson Mandela once said, "A good mind and a good heart is a formidable combination."

There are practical exercises and trainings that will improve ones endurance and strength but to put someone through a life-threatening test to profess his patriotism and his will to lead is just lame and brutal.

Those who endure the heartless tests will lead the next round of appalling initiations and mind you, the tests will be intensified, kicking up a few notches up as one feels the urge to retaliate. Yes, it does trickle down and becomes more horrifying.

I wonder why they kept mum about it? I am sure democracy is practiced, if not everywhere, in most of the educated areas in the country. Do we lack courage? Isn't courage an auspicious ingredient to win a battle?

'The Great Man Theory', one of the leadership theories conceived which caused a leader to become autocratic or authoritative. The leader solely has the right to decide and commands everyone to be subservient, regardless if the followers know why they are being tasked to or whether the followers believe in the decision made or not.

Is this the leadership style our armed foces have? I am dubious but if it is so then I will stop pressuring my brain cells to think why some of them torture their captives. I will not be surprised why we can't even ace a common hostage drama.

Consequently, leaders with x or y or z leadership style, are either loathed or admired by their people. Therefore, leaders must be wary and responsible about any word they utter, gesture they show and simple decision they make. They must not forget that they were catapulted to their posts to ease the burden of their people and to win. They shoulld work work for the people not people work for them.

Luckily, I did not have to go through CAT as I was busy with some music and cultural competitions and I was glad to know that the tests and the training my classmates went through were not as bad as I envisisaged, thanks to the nuns that protected us from all those unreasonable traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment